Thursday, May 19, 2011

Korean Travels and Class Reunions

Well, I'm behind on my postings. Unlike my fellow Hardworlders who have given up the fight, and apparently are never posting again. Well, I can't force 'em. Anyway, Sports Day is tomorrow at my school so I decided to fill up on Chinese Beer and do a post that is long overdue. The beer I be drankin' is Harbin and Hatepi which is made by the Harbin Beer People. Harbin is a city, too, and I've been there before. It's a cold ass city in the northeast of China. It's cold. Yes....Cold. Very cold. Did I mention that it's cold? Yes. So, here we go with photos and werdz:

Okay, so me and my Korean friend named Kim Man hwan went on a trip a couple of months ago to the magikal Gyeongsang province (경상도) for his class reunion. Man hwan is older than me, so I call him my hyungnim (형님) which means older brother in Korean. Man hwan doesn't know anything about black metal or worshipping the devil or chopped & screwed or any of that. Which is okay by me. However, he is from gyeongsang province which is interesting in and of itself. He's from a town near Andong, which is famous for their soju (which tastes like a combination of tequila and sake) and a few dishes and intellectuals. Despite the fact that Korea is such a small ass place, there are tons of interesting little things in each area you go into. I won't get into the dynamics of a small, but interesting, town like Andong for this post because I want to tell you about the trip, BUT, check it out on your own on the internet....or visit the goddamn place, asshole. Why do I gotta tell you everything!

So, we missed a lot of stuff on this trip cuz we woke up late, but we saw this which was amazing:

And we ate this not long after seeing that:
That stuff above is called chilk guksu (칡국수) which, according to my cellphone, is arrowroot. I don't know, either, but it was kinda tasty. My friend wasn't a huge fan of it, though. Anyway, chilk is formed into noodles, and then the broth is spicy, peppery, but light also. Similar to kalguksu (갈국수), but spicy, and no shellfish. Not the best stuff in the world, but it's not that common in any old place in Korea, so I'm glad I gave it a go. It could be a specialty in this part of Korea....maybe. Anyhoo....

These next few pics are from his class reunion. There was a hot 50 year old that I was kinda all about, but, c'est la vie, it wasn't to be. Basically, my friend comes from a small small ass town, and they combined the reunion with other classes, and then they would compete with each other in games on the ground as you see. The thing is, over here, they have a couple of class reunions every year, and this is the sports one. So, we drank (under class tents), I attempted some very bad Korean, I ate some kimchi, and pigs feet, and drank beer, and sat around, and tried to pick up old bitches, which is my habit. OMG! And here's some old school toilets which you rarely find in Korea. The things were IN the ground. I don't know how they clean 'em, but they were in the back of the school. Like I said, he goes to a small small ass town. I mean, like, maybe 1000 in the whole town, and that's a liberal estimate.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, that last picture speaks to merrier times. Indeed. Do not worry Daug. Don't you fret! You are not alone in the Hardworld. I will get back in the game soon, yo. Just gotta transition back up North but I've got time in Texas for crafting the most exquisite entry of all linear time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so. You think you can make it over to Korea after Alaska? I'll still be here, but my heart does long for some Texas Comforts.

    ReplyDelete